Nannee's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Nannee's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!
Nannee's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Crypto Price Crash: Why Ethereum Could Soon Overtake Bitcoin
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 pm by Nanneerose

» Crypto Price Crash: As Bitcoin And Ethereum Collapse, Elon Musk Brands Radical Dogecoin Plan A ‘Great Idea’
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 pm by Nanneerose

» Co-Impact Sourcing - Rose
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm by Nanneerose

» Co-Impact Sourcing - Lemon
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 pm by Nanneerose

» Doterra's Co-Impact Sourcing, The Doterra Difference
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 pm by Nanneerose

» How to Build a Firepit
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:11 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Make Bar Soap Yourself
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm by Nanneerose

» How to Grow Blueberries
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 7:40 pm by Nanneerose

» Bring On the Cheer
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm by Nanneerose

» Natural Homemade Plant Fungicide Works A Treat
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 29, 2019 9:01 pm by Nanneerose

» The Best Lemon Impossible Pie Recipe
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:55 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Make A Rainbow Unicorn Cheesecake
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Tint Jars And Bottles The Easiest Way
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm by Nanneerose

» Low Light Loving Plants You Can Grow Anywhere
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm by Nanneerose

» 11 Natural Ways to Reduce Symptoms of Menopause
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm by Nanneerose

» ONE DRAGONFLY CAN EAT HUNDREDS OF MOSQUITOS A DAY. KEEP THESE PLANTS IN YOUR YARD TO ATTRACT DRAGONFLIES
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyTue May 28, 2019 8:02 am by Nanneerose

» Positive Things To Say To Your Child
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyThu May 23, 2019 6:18 pm by Nanneerose

» Aluminum Foil And Baking Soda Jewelry Cleaner
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:09 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Repot Orchids The Correct Way at Home
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:04 pm by Nanneerose

» Fill Your Garden With Butterflies
Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm by Nanneerose

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories

Go down

Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories Empty Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories

Post by Nanneerose Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Old wives' tales and gender prediction theories Boygirl-620x349

I will preface this post by saying that my husband and I are choosing to not find out the gender of our child until it graces us with his or her presence.
It's pretty much the number one question I get asked by well-meaning people at the moment.
I don't mind answering that we both are looking forward to the surprise; no, it doesn't make it impossible to prepare; yes, we are sure that we don't want to know; no, we won't be changing our mind on this. Someone once said, tongue-in-cheek, that not knowing the gender makes you push harder, and I like that idea.
Anyway, other than the 20-week anatomy scan that we've got coming up soon, there are a few other ways that people swear you can predict the gender before a baby is born.
Just for a bit of fun, I thought I'd check them all out and see if there's a pattern.
How's the heart rate?
The theory: If the baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute, you're expecting a boy. If it's over 140, you're having a girl.
My results: My baby's heart rate has consistently been more than 155-160bmp.
Prediction: Girl
Blurgh,morning sickness
The theory: The sicker you are, the more likely it is that the baby is girl.
My results: While nauseous for the first 13 weeks, I never actually threw up so I wouldn't really say I was 'sick' (especially compared to some ladies!).
Prediction: Boy
The glowing skin test
The theory: If your skin is smoother and better than ever, it's a boy. If you're breaking out all over, it's a girl.
My results: I've always had bad skin, but strangely, for me, it has been somewhat behaving of late. A welcome side effect of pregnancy indeed.
Baking powder and wees test
Urine + two tablespoons of baking powder in a glass. If it fizzes like a shaken soft drink or the head of a beer, it's a boy. If there's no reaction, it's a girl.
My results: Firstly, ew gross. Secondly, I got over the grossness and did it. It fizzed up like absolute crazy! Quite the science experiment.
Does your bump hang low?
The higher you're carrying, the more chance it is a girl. If it's low, it's a boy.
My results: It's early days but I appear to be carrying low, and at my last midwife appointment, she mentioned it was low.
Mmm, cravings
Pies or cake? If you're craving savoury stuff like cheese, bread and chips, it's a boy. If you're crazing sweet things, it's a girl.
My results: I am a savoury fiend, so I would have to say I'd go savoury for this. But I have had weird one-off intense cravings for certain sweet things. (For example, yesterday I could not get the picture of a huge piece of moist chocolate gateaux cake out of my head. Mmm, cake).
Prediction: Boy (going on the majority of cravings)
Boob growth
If your chest has exploded in size, there's more chance of a girl. If it hasn't changed dramatically, it's a boy.
My results: I had big boobs to start with, but they have gone up at least a size already and appear to be fuller than ever before.
Prediction: Girl
Chinese gender prediction
Harking back to ancient times, this theory involves consulting this chart and working out your age at conception and the month of conception.
My results: At 30 years old, I conceived around the end of January or start of February, both of which have the same results regardless.
Got cold feet?
Apparently if your feet are extra cold, it can be a sign that your baby is a boy.
My results: I am living in my slippers, to the point I jump out of the shower and straight into my slippers ... sometimes without drying my feet off because they're so cold. But then again, I've always had cold feet.
Overall, anyone who has had a baby and tried these predictor tests will tell you that, of course, there's a 50/50 chance of getting them right or wrong.
There are tonnes of other 'predictors' too - the cabbage wees test, the even/odd Mayan system, the garlic test, the key pickup test (one of the weirder ones!), headaches, moods ...
The one I haven't done yet but might give a whirl at some stage for a laugh is the wedding ring test. You just get someone to tie a wedding ring to some string and hold it above your belly. If it goes in a circle, it's a girl. If it swings back and forward, it's a boy.
But overall, one of the biggest predictors, they say, is a woman's gut instinct.
From the moment we found out we were pregnant, both myself and my husband thought it was a boy, which was strange because there is a huge bias towards girls in my husband's profession.
As the weeks pass, however, I'm starting to think it might be a girl ... but maybe that's just me prepping myself for all outcomes.
Either way, it'll be one or the other. Probably.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/pregnancy/pregnancy-nutrition-and-wellbeing/old-wives-tales-and-gender-prediction-theories-20140522-38ql2.html
Nanneerose
Nanneerose
Admin

https://nanneesplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum