Alley's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!

Alley's Place

Formerly Mums Hangout, Alleys Place is all the same info but with a few added extras!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to Alley's Place - A Place to Network - Laugh - Enquire - Learn - Love - Chat - Be Yourself and Just Hang Out.
Latest topics
» Raw Chocolate & Hazelnut Brownies
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm by AlleyRose

» A New Way to Cook Chips!
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm by AlleyRose

» Food binges and how to beat them
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 pm by AlleyRose

» Popular “Diet” Ingredient Now Linked to Leukemia and Lymphoma in New Landmark Study on Humans
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 pm by AlleyRose

» Are you being tricked into shopping badly?
Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 am by AlleyRose

» Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 pm by AlleyRose

» David Cassidy: Ex-Partridge Family idol says he has dementia
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 pm by AlleyRose

» Spotting the illness that can cause sudden blindness
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm by AlleyRose

» Autism detectable in brain long before symptoms appear
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 pm by AlleyRose

» Monstrous Spiders and Centipedes
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm by AlleyRose

» Sir David Attenborough to present Blue Planet sequel
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:59 pm by AlleyRose

» As Australia scorches, sea ice spread around Antarctica hits a record low
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm by AlleyRose

» Welcome to the social media shopping mall
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm by AlleyRose

» Effective social media — a key business objective
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm by AlleyRose

» Pokemon Go NEWS: Hidden Niantic update solves BIGGEST Gen 2 problem
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 pm by AlleyRose

» Rocket League on Xbox One: Microsoft reveal free Xbox Live Gold plans
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm by AlleyRose

» Jupiter Ascending - One Of My Favs!
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm by AlleyRose

» Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 pm by AlleyRose

» Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 pm by AlleyRose

» Why Your Grandparents Didn’t Have Food Allergies— But You Do
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 pm by AlleyRose

Like/Tweet/+1

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Whistle and Ivy

Moogly

Chocolate Chocolate and More

Confessions of a Homeschooler

Share | 

Pruning Blackberries and Raspberries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AlleyRose
Admin

PostSubject: Pruning Blackberries and Raspberries   Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:58 am

Pruning Summer-Fruiting Raspberries

Cut down fruited canes as close to the ground as possible. Ideally you should do this as soon as they’ve fruited. They will die off anyway, but removing them sooner rather than later has a couple of advantages. One, they won’t be a drain on the plant’s energy, which will then be concentrated into the new canes, destined to bear next year’s fruit; two, they won’t shade the new canes from sunlight, so the latter will develop better. The taller and stronger the new canes are at the end of the summer, the more fruit you’re likely to pick next year.
If you’re worried about which canes to cut down, then look for the empty hulls of last year’s fruit. They’ll be on the branching canes. New canes are smooth and unbranched. (The photo shows two new canes on the left, and the fruited, branched one on the right.)
Still, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t prune them out then and, as is the way of things, I tend to find myself cutting them down in late winter, when doing other pruning.
Raspberries are one of those plants that throw up suckers, so you need to keep an eye open for those and cut them off at ground level. Weedy ones should be got rid of completely but, if you want another raspberry plant, dig out a robust-looking sucker and plant it where you’d prefer it to be.

Pruning Blackberries

Despite their different habit, blackberries are treated the same way as summer-fruiting raspberries. Fruited canes are cut right back, the current year’s new growth left to fruit next year.
I have to admit to allowing my rather rampant blackberry to grow in a hummock. This isn’t recommended in the best gardening circles, and surely makes tidy gardeners blanch, as new canes tend to reach out and root themselves where they touch the ground (which is great if you want more bushes – just dig up and replant). It also entails some careful manoeuvring when it comes to reaching into the bush to remove fruited canes at the base.
However, I’ve never got round to putting in any posts and wires. For those who are much tidier than I am, one of the most efficient approaches is to set up posts and wires to the left and the right of the blackberry plant. The idea (called the “alternate bay system”) is that you train all the canes grown in one year onto the wires on one side of the plant, (say, to the left), and all the canes the following year on to the wires on the opposite side. This means that all those to the left fruit at the same time and are cut down together, to be replaced with the new canes growing in the year when all those to the right are fruiting.
Again, if you’re at all worried about deciding which are the fruited canes, then just look for clusters of empty hulls that remain on the branches.

Pruning Autumn-Fruiting Raspberries

These are generally grown to fruit on canes grown in the current year. (I say, generally, as some people do aim to get two crops, one in early summer from last year’s late growth, but we’re going for the simpler approach.) Just cut all the canes down to ground level in winter, and that includes any new canes that might have poked their heads up towards the end of the previous year.
You can, if you like, and especially if you fear a late bout of severe weather, wait until the new growth starts in spring, as the old canes will give some protection to the crown. However, don’t delay cutting down the old canes once the new growth starts, and don’t muddle up last year’s growth with the new season’s.
If the new canes come up thick and fast in spring, then it’s a good idea to decongest the plant by taking out the weaker looking shoots, but I find that most of the time you can leave them to get on with things.

http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=229
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alleysplace.forumotion.com

Pruning Blackberries and Raspberries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1