Alley's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!

Alley's Place

Formerly Mums Hangout, Alleys Place is all the same info but with a few added extras!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Welcome to Alley's Place - A Place to Network - Laugh - Enquire - Learn - Love - Chat - Be Yourself and Just Hang Out.
Latest topics
» Raw Chocolate & Hazelnut Brownies
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm by AlleyRose

» A New Way to Cook Chips!
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm by AlleyRose

» Food binges and how to beat them
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 pm by AlleyRose

» Popular “Diet” Ingredient Now Linked to Leukemia and Lymphoma in New Landmark Study on Humans
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 pm by AlleyRose

» Are you being tricked into shopping badly?
Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:05 am by AlleyRose

» Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 pm by AlleyRose

» David Cassidy: Ex-Partridge Family idol says he has dementia
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 pm by AlleyRose

» Spotting the illness that can cause sudden blindness
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm by AlleyRose

» Autism detectable in brain long before symptoms appear
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 pm by AlleyRose

» Monstrous Spiders and Centipedes
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm by AlleyRose

» Sir David Attenborough to present Blue Planet sequel
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:59 pm by AlleyRose

» As Australia scorches, sea ice spread around Antarctica hits a record low
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm by AlleyRose

» Welcome to the social media shopping mall
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm by AlleyRose

» Effective social media — a key business objective
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm by AlleyRose

» Pokemon Go NEWS: Hidden Niantic update solves BIGGEST Gen 2 problem
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 pm by AlleyRose

» Rocket League on Xbox One: Microsoft reveal free Xbox Live Gold plans
Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 pm by AlleyRose

» Jupiter Ascending - One Of My Favs!
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm by AlleyRose

» Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 pm by AlleyRose

» Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 pm by AlleyRose

» Why Your Grandparents Didn’t Have Food Allergies— But You Do
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 pm by AlleyRose

Like/Tweet/+1

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Whistle and Ivy

Moogly

Chocolate Chocolate and More

Confessions of a Homeschooler

Share | 

How To Make Non-Toxic Homemade Sunscreen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AlleyRose
Admin

PostSubject: How To Make Non-Toxic Homemade Sunscreen   Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Chemical Sunscreens Can Be Really Scary . . .

Most of the active chemical ingredients contain potent endocrine disruptors, and experts believe exposure to them is changing us for the worse. And as we talked about yesterday, many “healthy” mineral sunscreens contain nanoparticles which have been linked to accelerated skin aging, cancer and environmental toxicity. Not to mention that many of them use omega-6 rich oils such as soy and sunflower/safflower, which may disturb the healthy balance of fats most likely to resist oxidation.
Most days we skip sunscreen altogether and use antioxidants instead, but on days we are going to be out much longer than usual we do use sunscreen.
Based on all the scary stuff I just mentioned you may be asking if there are ANYsunscreens I’d recommend. Thanks to this sunscreen review by Katie over at Kitchen Stewardship, the answer is yes. Most days I skip the sunscreen and let antioxidants do the work, but for long days at the beach Green Screen is something I would be comfortable using on my family. It’s not perfect – it contains a small amount of soy – but it’s very good overall.
Loving Naturals also has a pretty good one. They actually list the micron size of their zinc oxide – it’s within range of normal particles so I’m guessing it’s not micronized. The only thing I’d change is switch out the omega-6 rich sunflower oil for something else. Not a huge deal to me, though. And yay! They have a baby version, too!

What’s The Difference Between Nano-sized and Micronized?

Good question! Micronization is a grinding process, not a size. It can be used to make nanomaterials (100 nanometers or smaller, usually around 10-50), or something smaller than nanosize but larger than the non-micronized “bulk” form that has been shown to be non-toxic (200-500 nanometers).
From what I understand, micronization appears to create at least some nanoparticles through it’s process even when the targeted size is larger . . . kind of like leftover sawdust. So even if it is “non-nano” micronized there is still a possibility it contains nanomaterial. Bulk forms that have not been subjected to micronization do not carry that risk. This may not be a factor at all (reports are conflicting), but for now I’m staying away from them.

Now, Before We Get Started . . .

There are a couple more things I should mention. First, the reason micronized and nanosized particles are so popular is that they rub in clear. The recipe I’m sharing might make you look a bit pasty, but if you want you can tint it with mineral powder (details with the recipe).

Also, titanium dioxide photodegrades pretty quickly and there’s evidence that it may become toxic in the process, so I prefer to use zinc oxide. Unfortunately, both zinc and titanium can leave white marks on dark clothes, so be careful when applying.
Last thing:  This formula works immediately, so there’s no need to wait to go outside. However, it is not waterproof, so reapply after swimming. Now, are you ready to make some homemade sunscreen?

Simple Homemade Sunscreen Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 batch homemade lotion, or 3/4 cup premade lotion with good, antioxidant rich ingredients like virgin coconut, avocado or olive oil. Here’s what I would use. If you’re using a scale the total weight should be about 9 oz.

• .4-1.6 oz uncoated, non-nano zinc. Weight will vary based on the level of protection you want (Find it here)

• Essential oils (optional – but make sure they are not ones that increase photosensitivity!)

• Iron oxides or cocoa powder for tint (optional) – find pre-blended iron oxide here, find cocoa powder here

Special Equipment:

• food processor (Here’s the one I have)

• mask (Nanoparticles should not be breathed because of lung damage but I couldn’t find a definitive answer on zinc. I just covered my face with my t-shirt. Okay, I didn’t really, but maybe you should Smile)

Method:
[list="border: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 25px; margin-left: 20px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; list-style: none; color: rgb(122, 122, 122); font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; line-height: 25.2000007629395px; background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249);"]
[*]If you’re using my homemade recipe (which is 9 0z. weighed), add the zinc oxide right after you make the lotion. See below for details on how much to add.

[*]If you’re using a pre-made lotion, warm it in a water bath and then add/blend in the zinc oxide in a food processor.

[*]Add essential oils and tint as desired.

[*]How you store depends on the composition of the lotion you used. If it’s premade it probably contains preservatives, so room temp is fine. If it’s coconut oil it will last at room temp for quite awhile, but longer if stored in the fridge. Olive oil tends to go bad quicker than coconut oil, so I’d probably store that in the fridge from day 1. I’m not sure about avocado oil, but I’m thinking fridge. I’ll bet it hardens when it gets cold like coconut oil, though, so you’d want to let it warm up before use).

[/list]
Deciding How Much Zinc Oxide To Add
Anywhere from 5-20% of the total solution is generally considered to be effective, with 20% having  a higher level of protection. You may find the information below helpful in determining your measurements. I have not tested these ratios in a lab for SPF value.
If you’re looking for moderate protection, measure the lotion you are going to use and then add 10% of it’s weight in zinc oxide.
For example, 8oz. (weighed) of lotion + .8oz of zinc oxide (weighed) = 10% zinc ratio
Or 8 oz (weighed) of lotion + 1.2 oz zinc oxide (weighed) = 15 % zinc ratio
Note: Huge differences in SPF numbers are actually pretty insignificant when it comes to differences in protection. SPF 100 blocks 99 percent of UVB rays, while SPF 50 blocks 98 percent. SPF 30 blocks 96.7 percent, SPF 15 blocks 93%.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-make-non-toxic-homemade-sunscreen/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://alleysplace.forumotion.com

How To Make Non-Toxic Homemade Sunscreen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1