Nannee's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Nannee's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!
Nannee's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Crypto Price Crash: Why Ethereum Could Soon Overtake Bitcoin
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 pm by Nanneerose

» Crypto Price Crash: As Bitcoin And Ethereum Collapse, Elon Musk Brands Radical Dogecoin Plan A ‘Great Idea’
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 pm by Nanneerose

» Co-Impact Sourcing - Rose
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm by Nanneerose

» Co-Impact Sourcing - Lemon
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 pm by Nanneerose

» Doterra's Co-Impact Sourcing, The Doterra Difference
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 pm by Nanneerose

» How to Build a Firepit
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:11 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Make Bar Soap Yourself
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm by Nanneerose

» How to Grow Blueberries
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 7:40 pm by Nanneerose

» Bring On the Cheer
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm by Nanneerose

» Natural Homemade Plant Fungicide Works A Treat
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 29, 2019 9:01 pm by Nanneerose

» The Best Lemon Impossible Pie Recipe
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:55 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Make A Rainbow Unicorn Cheesecake
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Tint Jars And Bottles The Easiest Way
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm by Nanneerose

» Low Light Loving Plants You Can Grow Anywhere
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm by Nanneerose

» 11 Natural Ways to Reduce Symptoms of Menopause
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm by Nanneerose

» ONE DRAGONFLY CAN EAT HUNDREDS OF MOSQUITOS A DAY. KEEP THESE PLANTS IN YOUR YARD TO ATTRACT DRAGONFLIES
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyTue May 28, 2019 8:02 am by Nanneerose

» Positive Things To Say To Your Child
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyThu May 23, 2019 6:18 pm by Nanneerose

» Aluminum Foil And Baking Soda Jewelry Cleaner
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:09 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Repot Orchids The Correct Way at Home
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:04 pm by Nanneerose

» Fill Your Garden With Butterflies
14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm by Nanneerose

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered!

Go down

14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered! Empty 14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:17 pm

14 Tough Gardening Questions Answered!
August 14, 2014
Bad News, Beans, Food Production, Frugality, Gardening Tools, How To Compost, Permaculture Food Forest, Rainwater Harvesting, Subsistence Farming, Survival Cooking, Survival Skills, TEOTWAWKI, Un-Brainwashing
Have you asked any of these tough gardening questions?
Q: Why won’t my bell peppers grow well?
A: Bell peppers? Seriously? I basically gave up on those stupid things a long time ago. So has John Kohler, so I’m in good company.
Here’s the deal with bell peppers: they’re really touchy, whereas hot peppers and smaller sweet peppers grow like weeds. My theory is that hot peppers are more “wild” and also protect themselves better from pests and disease.
Think of this way: bell peppers are spoiled rich kids. Hot peppers grew up in da hood and can take care of themselves.
Q: Is burning fallen wood and leaves a good idea?
A: Yes, provided you put a witch on top first.
Just kidding. Actually, though wood ashes are good for the garden, you’re better off composting leaves and turning the wood into hugelkultur mounds – or using it to make biochar. Otherwise, you’re sending a lot of potential fertility up in smoke.
Q: Are raised beds the best way to garden?
A: I’ve answered this question before in a longer article but I’ll sum it up here. Raised beds are great in some climates and lousy in others. Just because they’re popular doesn’t mean they’re the best. In fact, whenever anything gets popular… I start to question whether it’s a good idea, particularly since as one insightful columnist likes to state… Most People Are Idiots (MPAI).
If you have sandy soils, long and hot growing seasons, or a limited budget/carpentry skills, consider another method.
Q: What crops are good for the fall garden?
A: Brassicas can take the cold, with kale leading the bunch. Jerusalem artichokes don’t need to be harvested until whenever you feel like pulling them in the winter. Chives and garlic usually do well… and fava beans can take some pretty cold weather.
Q: Can I just save my own seed from my vegetables?
A: With inbreeding vegetables like peppers, tomatoes and beans: yes. You can save seed from one plant without problems.
With outbreeding vegetables like corn, kale/cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli, melons, squash, and others… it gets tougher. You need a minimum number (usually 25) of plants – all of the same variety, without any other types in your garden – or else you’re likely to lose your cultivar and get a strange kale/cabbage cross or a funny-looking cucumber.
Look up Seed to Seed for more details on seed-saving than you’ll ever need.
Q: How can I grow a good tomato?
A: HA HA HA!!! Just quit now!
Tomatoes aren’t the best prepper crop and they’re notoriously touchy. If you have the right climate, it’s easy. If not, you’re hosed.
My tip: grow smaller tomatoes like cherry tomatoes if you have a tough time with this picky crop. More here.
Q: What will kill stinkbugs?
A: We posted 5 ways here – check it out.
Q: Are there any fast-growing nut trees?
A: Yes! Though nut trees have a reputation for being slow-growers, Chestnuts are remarkably precocious and can bear in three years… from seed! More on chestnuts and fast-growing fruit trees here.
Q: Have you ever heard of composting with worms?
A: Yep. Vermicomposting is a great way to dispose of food scraps and get some serious fertilizing power in the process. I’ve kept worms for almost a decade and have always enjoyed their wiggly goodness. For a look at how to build your own bin, plus a video of a guy with a seriously cool system, check this post out.
Q: How can I grow a garden in my neighborhood and get away with it?
A: I was asked this question just the other night at a gardening talk I was giving.
I told the gal to MOVE AWAY from her restricted community.
If you can’t do that, hide your gardening in plain sight by bringing out your inner landscape designer.
Q: Should I buy dirt or work with what I have?
A: Unless you’re gardening in the wreckage of a radioactive city, it’s usually better to improve the soil you already have. Compost is your friend, as are micronutrients and amendments like rock dust, seaweed, etc. Soil and even compost from off-site is usually contaminated with exciting new weeds and may contain heavy metals, pesticides and other junk. Even cow manure can kill your garden for years, thanks to long-term herbicides like Dow AgroSciences’ horrifying Grazon.
Double-dig in some good homemade compost and avoid putting your garden in danger.
Q: What’s the best way to irrigate?
A: My favorite way is to not irrigate at all; however, that’s not always an option. I’ve tried drip hoses (hate them), hand-watering (not so bad, but only good for a small space), burying wood (see hugelkultur above) and using overhead watering. My favorite is hand watering, but sometimes that’s just too time consuming so I go with overhead sprinklers instead. Sprinkler stands that can be attached to a hose work nicely.
Q: I want greens all summer but it gets too hot – help!
A: I know what you mean. We lose our lettuce/spinach/rocket/kale/mustard beds at the beginning of May here in Florida. After that point, I like tropical and hot weather greens such as Malabar spinach, Okinawa spinach, longevity spinach (why is everything called spinach???), chaya, amaranth and Bidens alba. The last member of that list is a wild green – chances are you have something similarly edible growing wild in your neck of the woods.
Q: How do you keep squirrels from eating all your fruit?
A: Oh shoot, I’m out of time… gotta run…
Actually, my answer to this: plant more fruit trees. Plant many more trees. Plant shrubs. Leave rock and stick piles in your yard. Foster an environment that makes space for predators, and by all means QUIT killing snakes!
Also – in the case of TEOTWAWKI, squirrels might be a good thing to have around. Let them fatten up now.
Got any other gardening questions? Send ‘em our way!
More Prepper Tips You Might Like

Thanks to: http://theprepperproject.com

Back to top Go down