Nannee's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Nannee's Place
To access this forum please register for FREE or login!
Nannee's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Crypto Price Crash: Why Ethereum Could Soon Overtake Bitcoin
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 pm by Nanneerose

» Crypto Price Crash: As Bitcoin And Ethereum Collapse, Elon Musk Brands Radical Dogecoin Plan A ‘Great Idea’
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 pm by Nanneerose

» Co-Impact Sourcing - Rose
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 pm by Nanneerose

» Co-Impact Sourcing - Lemon
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 pm by Nanneerose

» Doterra's Co-Impact Sourcing, The Doterra Difference
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 pm by Nanneerose

» How to Build a Firepit
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:11 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Make Bar Soap Yourself
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm by Nanneerose

» How to Grow Blueberries
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue Jun 01, 2021 7:40 pm by Nanneerose

» Bring On the Cheer
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm by Nanneerose

» Natural Homemade Plant Fungicide Works A Treat
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 29, 2019 9:01 pm by Nanneerose

» The Best Lemon Impossible Pie Recipe
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:55 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Make A Rainbow Unicorn Cheesecake
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Tint Jars And Bottles The Easiest Way
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm by Nanneerose

» Low Light Loving Plants You Can Grow Anywhere
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm by Nanneerose

» 11 Natural Ways to Reduce Symptoms of Menopause
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm by Nanneerose

» ONE DRAGONFLY CAN EAT HUNDREDS OF MOSQUITOS A DAY. KEEP THESE PLANTS IN YOUR YARD TO ATTRACT DRAGONFLIES
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyTue May 28, 2019 8:02 am by Nanneerose

» Positive Things To Say To Your Child
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 6:18 pm by Nanneerose

» Aluminum Foil And Baking Soda Jewelry Cleaner
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:09 pm by Nanneerose

» How To Repot Orchids The Correct Way at Home
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:04 pm by Nanneerose

» Fill Your Garden With Butterflies
10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) EmptyWed May 22, 2019 8:01 pm by Nanneerose

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't)

Go down

10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) Empty 10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't)

Post by Nanneerose Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:31 am

10 Eating Rules French Children Know (But Most Americans Don't) FrenchGirlInLavenderField-850x400
How the French eat, age, dress, raise their children and live in general is a real talking point these days. So, as an American mother of three half-French kids, I figured I'd add my two cents to the conversation.
I lived in France before becoming a parent, but eventually it was my kids who taught me everything I need to know about eating like a French person: Eating, and staying slim and healthy, isn't just about what you eat, but also how, when and why. Yes, French people enjoy junk food occasionally, and sometimes they eat between meals, but people don’t just let loose every day. There's a code of conduct for food, for big people and little ones alike. Here, in 10 quick life lessons, is what my kids taught me about food.
1. Eat, but not all day long.
Three meals a day, plus the children’s traditional after-school “gouter,” or snack, which might be a pain au chocolat, fruit or applesauce.
When mealtimes roll around, you eat with real pleasure because you’re hungry.
2. Eat real foods and generous portions.
Consuming three meals a day without grazing in between means you can eat well when you sit down at the table — and that includes a starter, main course, cheese and dessert. Portions are generous without going overboard. An example of yesterday’s lunch menu:
Starter course: Lentil salad
Main course: Roasted chicken, green beans
Cheese course: Vanilla yogurt
Dessert: Apple and orange slices … and that was in the public school cafeteria.
3. Choose water.

Generally speaking, the French do not drink their calories. At mealtimes, water (whether still or sparkling) is the drink of choice. Adults might opt for a glass or two of wine, but the glasses aren't the size of fishbowls.
4. Sit down.
It’s rare to see people eating while walking or shopping. There are no cup holders on caddies, or even in most cars. You eat at the table, not in front of the TV or computer screen, then you leave the table and do something else.
5. Eat lighter at night.
Lunchtime is the main event. Dinner is usually light: soups, salads, an omelet, a simple pasta dish. Dessert might be a yogurt or fruit. And you sleep so much better.
6. When the kitchen closes, it's CLOSED.
No grazing after dinner.
7. Know your limit, then stop.
Set eating times help you tune in to when you are really hungry or full.
8. Taste your food, guess the ingredients.
The French don’t just like to eat fabulous food and drink wonderful wine, they love to talk about it. Discussing how something tastes, its ingredients and how it was made heightens awareness; children love to join the conversation. They learn about real food and where it comes from.
9. Get cooking!
Along with an interest in ingredients comes an interest in the actual process of cooking food. With a little coaching, my 2-year-old peeled the apples she picked with her class and happily joined in making a tart. Children love helping put fresh vegetables or pasta into the pot, or making a chocolate cake from scratch. Being part of the process heightens appreciation, and builds good habits for life.
10. Eating well is not a sin; it's a pleasure.
Eating great food — no matter how simple or how elaborate — is one of life’s great pleasures, not an endless guilt trip. Especially when it's in moderation. Once, when we were visiting family in the US, a waitress asked my French husband if he was “done working on that,” referring to his plate of food. His reply: “Eating is a pleasure, mademoiselle, not work!”
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12268/10-eating-rules-french-children-know-but-most-americans-dont.html
Nanneerose
Nanneerose
Admin

https://nanneesplace.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down